Web Wiz Forums mySQL Upgrade
The following step by step guide describes how to upgrade the mySQL version of Web Wiz Forums.
- IMPORTANT; Backup your existing mySQL Server database. You may need to check with your web host as to what backup tools they give you. If you are using your own server make an SQL Dump using the tools from www.mysql.com.
- Use a zip utility program to extract the files to your hard drive keeping the original file structure intact.
- Using an FTP Program remove from your web space all the old files and images for the existing forum you want to upgrade, just keeping the uploads folder that contains content that your members have uploaded.
- Upload using your FTP Program the forum directory containing all the files and images onto your web space making sure that the files stay in their original directories.
- The forums database folder located at forum/database needs to have read, write, and modify permissions set on it, so that the installation wizard can write the database settings to the configuration files in this folder. Check with your web host that you have these permissions set, or if running the server yourself have a look at Setting Read, Write, and Modify Permissions.
- Type into your web browsers address bar the domain name and folder that you have uploaded the forum to.
The Web Wiz Forums installation/upgrade wizard will start automatically in your browser.
- Select the type of upgrade that you require then click Next.
- Select the database type that you are using, MySQL 4.1 or above, then click Next.
- On the Database Connection Page, enter your information as follows;
Once you have
filled in the fields, click Test Database Connection.
The Test Database Connection window will open, click Close Window
- Server - This will be the name or location of the mySQL instance (URI, IP address, or localhost)
- Database Name - This is the name of the actual database
- Database Username - This will be the name of the user account you use to login into the mySQL database
- Database Password - This will be the password that you use with the mySQL Username above
If the connection was not successful go back to stage 9 and complete the connection details again. If the database connection was successful click Next.
The upgrade will now begin. This may take sometime to complete. Once it has completed you should see a message like the one below, click the Forum Homepage link to view your forum.
Your forum logins will remain the same including for any admin accounts.
If you find that you are getting errors and pages not displaying please see Troubleshooting and Common Errors.